As both an entrepreneur and an IT specialist, Lindsey offers a blend of deep technical expertise and commercial insight, delivered in language business owners can really understand and trust. She works with clients to provide a full range of services from strategic advice through to project management and infrastructure support.
Lindsey is an accredited Cyber Essentials Consultant
Many tend to imagine that Cybersecurity is all about having an antivirus and a firewall. Whilst these are important, they aren’t a silver bullet. Indeed, some argue that an antivirus instils a false sense of security, and we have often heard “it looked dodgy but I thought my antivirus would protect me.” This is a dangerous and incorrect assumption and one frequently exploited.
A little education goes a long way, so we have listed a few tips below to try and prevent that education coming through bitter experience. We have also included a link at the end of this page so you can easily download and print the full document for your office
- Stop and think before you click on email links or attachments. Are you expecting it? Do you really need it?
- Be especially alert and smart when surfing the internet. Resist the temptation to click through on adverts or to see what a celebrity has done this week.
- Avoid freebies on the internet; they often come with a sting in the tail. Free file, video or music sharing sites are also dangerous.
- Be alert for warnings from your antivirus and don’t cancel a scan just because it is slowing you down. If it is trying to tell you something this should not be ignored.
- Allow updates for Microsoft, Java, Flash and Reader to install. A system without updates is a vulnerable one.
- If you do think you have caught a bug, then you don’t want to infect your network or damage your company files. Unplug your PC immediately and call IT support
- Be aware that an antivirus alone cannot protect you against infection. You have a responsibility too!
Print it and protect IT! – Download without registration – PDF Documennt – 371kb